Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hyped up about: Late nite reading

For the past week I have experimented with what I can do with my time after work. Without the existence of a computer and a TV.

I thought it was going to be a great challenge. After all, Youtubing is one of my favourite things to do, so is facebook-ing, surfing the web and sinking into that soft, fluffy couch as I watch TV dramas. How on earth am I going to spend the waking hours of the night?

For the first few nights, I came home late from work. Too tired and weary, I just grabbed a book and hopped onto bed. Before I could even finish a page, I was out cold like a knocked-out drunkard, snoozing and oinking away.

For the subsequent night, when I wasn’t so beat, I was scratching my head thinking of how to kill time. It was only 8.30PM, what am I gonna do?!

As I scanned through the book I casually picked up from my table, I kept asking myself: what to do, and what is wrong with this woman in the book. I felt so ding-dong when I realised I was doing something *ambient subconsciously* and that is reading.

I admit, it was pretty blur of me not to notice that I was reading and debating myself at the same time. Reading has always been my favourite pass time, especially during rainy weekend evenings. It used to be somewhat a routine in the past, but not any more. I had a habit of reading before bedtime when I was a student. Every night, from my high school days up until my final year in university, I would spend half an hour reading before I sleep. I had not notice when my fad with technology *ahem, namely my laptop and my cable TV* overtook this long time habit of mine.

After all that is said, I began picking up the habit of daily reading again, starting this week. I found that reading during the night time calms my nerves and is now added into my daily routine once again as it was before in the past. I may not have as much time as before for the dear friend *The Book*, but I shall certainly make more time for it in the future, considering how I enjoy its company immensely :)

No comments:

Post a Comment